Chiropractors Atlanta Help Nagging Tension Headaches
Tension headaches are incredibly common. With our heavy use of computers and cell phones, our repetitive hunched and stooped posture directly contributes to developing muscle imbalances. How does a tension headache differ from other kinds of headaches?
Symptoms of Tension Headaches (1)
- Mild to moderate pain level
- Vice-like pain – feels as though a hat band is squeezing your head
- May occur multiple times per month
- Eye strain and/or sleep disturbances may contribute to the pain
- No nausea or vomiting
Management of tension headaches typically involves over-the-counter analgesics. While these are effective in decreasing pain, it does not address the root cause of the headaches. Many people with chronic tension headaches are looking for an alternative solution.
Natural Tension Headache Relief
Your spine is responsible for protecting your spinal cord. Your spinal cord is essential for transmitting signals to and from your brain. When your atlas (top bone in your spine) misaligns, this leads to tension within your spinal cord. Spinal cord tension causes the signals going to and from your brain to become distorted. This may lead to tension headache symptoms.
Dr. Parkerson is trained in Orthospinology, a gentle chiropractic procedure that detects and corrects atlas misalignments. Orthospinology is a very precise technique. Through specific realignment of the atlas, the pressure within the spinal cord is reduced. The brainstem is able to send and receive messages without distortion. This may lead to a reduction of tension headache symptoms.
Palmer et al. examined 47 patients with non-migraine headaches. After two weeks of specific atlas chiropractic care (and only one correction), the subjects had a significant reduction in headache pain. They found that after 3-4 months of care, their headache symptoms decreased by 75% on average. (2)
To schedule a complimentary consultation in our Smyrna office call 770-952-5353 or just click the button below:
- Silberstein S. Tension-Type Headaches – Brain, Spinal Cord, and Nerve Disorders [Internet]. Merck Manuals Consumer Version. 2015 [cited 21 December 2015]. Available from: http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/brain,-spinal-cord,-and-nerve-disorders/headaches/tension-type-headaches
- Palmer J, Dickholtz M. Improvement in Radiographic Measurements, Posture, Pain & Quality of Life in Non-migraine Headache Patients Undergoing Upper Cervical Chiropractic Care: A Retrospective Practice Based Study. Annals Vert Sub Res [Internet]. 2009 [cited 21 December 2015];2009(June):1-11. Available from: http://www.mccoypress.net/annals/docs/2009-1287_nucca.pdf