Our clinic now uses a low-level, non-invasive laser, manufactured by Erchonia that reduces pain and accelerates healing. The first of its kind to be approved by the FDA, the Erchonia laser has a proven track record for healing, recovery, and performance.
Cold Laser Therapy involves the application of low power coherent light to injuries and lesions to stimulate healing. The laser promotes healing in many conditions because it penetrates the skin, increases the ATP, and activates enzymes in the targeted cells.
Cold Laser may be used to:
- Relieve pain
- Reduce swelling and inflammation
- Decrease healing time after injury
- Increase range of motion
- Improve nerve and muscle function
- Reduce scar tissue formation after surgery
Cold Laser vs. Hot Laser
The effects of the Erchonia laser are photochemical (cold), as opposed to thermal (hot). Hot lasers are used in many surgical procedures to cut tissue, while cold lasers are used to stimulate tissue for healing.
How Does Cold Laser Work?
A completely painless therapy, the laser is applied to your spine and/or your affected body part. Your body absorbs light energy from the laser, which, in turn, stimulates your cells to produce greater amounts of cellular energy known as ATP (adenosine triphosphate). ATP is the energy that your body uses for healing and repair.
During treatment of the tissue with an FDA approved 635 nm laser, an interaction between cells and photons takes place – a photochemical reaction. Photons from the laser affect the tissue at the cellular level. The laser enters the tissue and is absorbed into the mitochondria of the cell. The mitochondria are the “powerhouse” of your body’s cells and make ATP, which is needed for the life enhancement process of every cell.
By increasing ATP production, cold laser therapy facilitates:
- Pain relief – as a result of increased endorphin release.
- Faster healing – healing time may be less than one-third to one-half as long when compared to treatment without the laser therapy.
- Anti-inflammatory action – reduces swelling caused by bruising or inflammation of joints to improve joint mobility.
- Reduced scar tissue formation – following tissue damage due to trauma, cuts, scratches, burns and surgery.
- Increased metabolic activity – CL helps your body increase output of specific enzymes, greater oxygen to blood cells, and more effective immune response.
- Increased vascular activity – stimulates lymph and blood circulation to allow the tissue to have maximal circulation.
- Strengthening the immune system – via increasing levels of white blood cell activity.
Cold Laser Q&A
Is it safe?
The Erchonia laser made history by becoming the first cold laser in the world to gain FDA market clearance for the treatment of chronic neck and shoulder pain.
Are there any side effects?
In over 25 years of use, there have been no reports of side effects from cold lasers.
Will I feel anything?
The cold laser is completely painless and most people will feel nothing as the laser is applied. Some may feel a very light sensation.
How often should I have cold laser treatments?
That depends on the severity of your condition and how quickly you want to get well. Cold laser treatments can be repeated as soon as 24 hours.
How much does it cost?
The fee for a standard laser treatment (less than 15 minutes) is $25 if combined with an adjustment, or $50 as a laser-only treatment.